Monday, December 28, 2009

Welcome Back, Winter

Yesterday, it was 50 degrees. Tomorrow's supposed to be zero. And today I woke to the world all covered with snow. What perfect timing, since at last I am free to enjoy my dear outdoors to my heart's content, with all my holiday obligations and celebrations over and done. Not that I don't enjoy the holidays. It's just that all those events take place indoors, and many require me to dress like a lady in kind of uncomfortable clothes, so I was really itching to put on my longjohns and snowboots and get outside. Especially on such a spectacular day, with a brisk wind lifting the snow from branches and filling the sunlit air with spangles. Here's the road to Moreau Lake State Park.



And here's the lake, completely iced over and covered with snow. I checked with park staffers, who told me the ice was now thick enough to be safe to walk on, so off I went to walk around the lake. I didn't expect to see many animal tracks yet, since most critters hunker down when it snows and don't come out for a day or more. Today I just planned on breathing the sweet cold air and enjoying the contrast of brilliant white snow against a mostly blue sky.




Well, that sky didn't stay blue for long, as clouds moved in from the west, bringing even stiffer winds and gusts of blowing snow.




Before long, the very air was white, as the snow came thick and fast.


I pulled up the hood on my coat to keep the snow off the back of my neck, wound my scarf tighter to keep the icy wind out of my ears, and just kept walking along on the snow-covered ice. It turned out that hood and scarf protected my head against more than the cold. For all of a sudden, whoooops! and SLAM! My feet flew out and down I went, hard, landing first on my back, then my head slamming down with a big thunk on the ice. I didn't pass out, but I did "see stars" -- and they weren't just blowing snowflakes. I lay there for quite some time, dazed and hoping I hadn't fractured my skull, since my head was hurting bad where it hit the ice. But after a while I slowly, slowly sat up. I didn't throw up or pass out, so I figured I would live, got up and made my way back to my car, walking this time on the beach instead of the ice. I did check with a doctor, who said I would be OK, no fracture or internal bleeding that he could tell. Whew! My lucky day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better !

I stopped by Birds Unlimited yesterday and saw a wonderful (and mean looking !) pair of cleats that will go over any shoe/boot - I used a pair at the spa today and it was like the ice did not exist ! They are having a 20% sale off this week. It was my first time in the store and I will be back ! Check out the weather sticks and the small stuffed bird that call with pressed...

suep said...

yeh there's something called Yaktrax and they are like studded bungee-cords that go on your boots. I saw some tracks of ice-fisherman who wore them, it makes an X in their footprint.
Hey now we can track each OTHER, if we can't find any critter tracks!

G-Pride Farm said...

I enjoyed walking with you and seeing your beautiful walk in the snow. Glad your not hurt from your fall. I felt it also, from childhood memories of walking on ice ponds.

Carolyn H said...

Your lake photo looks very inviting for some winter playtime! Here, I didn't quite see 50 degrees, and the low temp is "only" to be around 15 but with a strong wind, it still feels pretty cold. I get out my snowboarding pants--not that I've ever snowboarded, but that's the kind of pants they are. I look like a kid in a snowsuit but I'm nice and warm and can enjoy the woods.

Carolyn H.

Ellen Rathbone said...

OMG - I hope you are okay, Jackie! I took a similar spill a couple years ago: hit a patch of ice while walking the dog. I remember stepping on the ice and thinking "uh-oh", and the next thing I remember is being flat on my back and my head slamming into the pavement. Pain shot through my arms and legs, out my fingers and toes. When I tried to roll over, the world swam, and nausea rose. So, I lay there for a bit. Long story short, the PA found nothing wrong with me, but I was tender for days. It took months for the smashed nerve ends to heal. Hope it's not as bad for you!

BTW - nice pics!

Holly said...

Oh, ow. I've wiped out on a frozen pond like that, although when I did it I was out there playing hockey with ice skates on. The impact is incredible. It's amazing how much the impression (literal and figurative) lingers on afterward. Glad it sounds like you're alright!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thanks for all your well-wishes, dear friends. Seems like many of us know how it feels to slip on the ice. I seem to be OK today (Tues.) except for a sore neck and shoulders. I do have those Yaktrax and wore them today when I walked on some ice. Very secure feeling.

Nice to make your acquaintance, G-Pride Farm, and I enjoyed your very homey blog. Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks to all of you for stopping by.

New York Land Man said...

Ouch! Ice is not a friend to the back of the head

Jackie C said...

One of my favorite places! We were there the other day and I marveled at the braves ones out in the middle of the lake! A walk around the perimeter sounds very interesting!