Monday, January 20, 2020

What Friends Are For!

Thanks have to go to my good pal Sue Pierce (that's Sue in this photo) for urging me out on this gorgeous winter day.  After spending a whole long week resting in my recliner while recovering from illness, I still felt a bit wobbly this morning, but as soon as I stepped out under that wide blue sky, breathed in that crisp cold air, and started kicking that soft fresh snow before me as we walked on the frozen Moreau Lake, I sure felt a whole lot better.  We didn't walk for more than an hour, but we were rewarded with finding lots of fox and coyote tracks following the shore and climbing the banks, and then we found a quiet place out of any wind and basked in that bright sun, just so happy to have such a gorgeous place to go for a healing walk in.  Let's hope our beautiful winter hangs around for a little longer. As soon as I feel up to it, Sue and I hope to snowshoe up to some limestone caves on the western ridge and follow the porcupine trails from where they den in the caves to where they feed in the mountaintop hemlocks.  Winter adventures await!

6 comments:

threecollie said...

Hate that you have been ill. Hope for a full recovery and soon. There is too much to see this winter to be missing it. Take care...

suep said...

No no it was YOU that got ME outside yesterday ! I think we were both pacing around indoors all morning, and I was happy to hear the phone ring -- and it was you !

The Furry Gnome said...

On a sunny winter day you just need to get out!

Anonymous said...

Don't go out on the ice yet

Mary Cuffe Perez said...

Dear Jackie, just wanted you to know how much I enjoy and look forward to your blog. I am a bit of a woods roamer myself, though I have less than an ounce of your knowledge. I love how you pay attention to the natural world, to every aspect of it, which is something most of us lack entirely. I have written a children's book called Gnarlys of the North Woods, which uses fictional characters whose adventures take place the very real world of the forest. The idea behind it is to get kids to search for gnarlys, and in their search to discover the real world around them -- the magic at their feet. I am planning to do some workshops at nature centers and libraries this spring and summer. I would love to send you a copy of the book, if you would be interested. In the meantime, I will continue to look forward to your blogs and I sure hope you are feeling better!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thank you, my friends,for all your good wishes for a speedy recovery. Your good energies must have worked,for I am feeling quite recovered and am getting back out to enjoy these pleasant winter days.New reports from the field should follow shortly.

I certainly WOULD love to see the book Gnarlys of the North Woods! It seems the author and I are of the same spirit when we wander in nature. You may contact me through my email at jackie0542@gmail.com and let me know how I might obtain a copy. Looking forward to shared adventures!