Monday, April 21, 2014

The Week in Flowers

Ah, with this warm sunny weather, the spring ephemerals are coming fast.  In addition to the Carolina Spring Beauties (Claytonia caroliniana) I mentioned in the last post, here's a list of the flowers I found in bloom this past week.

Hepatica (Hepatica nobilus var. acuta); Skidmore Woods






English Violet (Viola odorata var. alba); Skidmore Woods





Leatherwood (Dirca palustris); Skidmore Woods





Round-leaved Violet (Viola rotundifolia): Orra Phelps Nature Preserve





Golden Saxifrage (Chrysosplenium americanum); Orra Phelps Nature Preserve





Common Chickweed (Stellaria media); Yaddo





Pennsylvania Sedge? (Carex pensylvanicum?); Bog Meadow Nature Trail




Field Horsetail Reed (Equisetum arvense); fertile (tan) and sterile (green) stalks; Bog Meadow Nature Trail

3 comments:

suep said...

things are waaay ahead of our beauties around Glens Falls, but I suspect with some good rainfall this week, we will catch up with you very soon

catharus said...

Pennsylvania Sedge...I've always wondered what that is! Thanks!
'Lovely shots of the hepatica!!!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Sue, I think everything's gonna bloom all at once. Get ready!

catharus, I'm no expert on sedges, so Pennsylvania was just my best guess. I know it has much narrower leaves than the Plantain-leaved Sedge, which is also common around here and recognized by its wider crinkly leaves.