Thursday, December 14, 2023

Couple of Breakdowns, and I'm Taking a Break

 


I guess I won't be driving for a while -- not this car or any.  On December 8, I got slammed hard while turning left right into the path of an oncoming car going full speed, and it was my fault.  I just did not see it coming, and that error will haunt me for a very long time.  Luckily, it appeared that no one in the other car was injured (at least not visibly).  But I was, although not in any life-threatening way, thank God.  I don't know how both legs got bashed, but now I can barely walk, and five days after the accident, I still can't bend my left leg more than a few degrees without severe pain, and the leg certainly can't lift my weight, although, thankfully, it can bear it. So I can hobble. That knee was already damaged from a previous injury, so maybe it's time to do what my orthopedist had been recommending and have a knee replacement.  Maybe after Christmas.

At any rate, the woods and waters and winter wonderlands will not have me wandering them for quite a while, so I won't have anything new to report here on this blog for some time.  And then my old iMac crashed as well, with my harddrive still accessible but with no connection to the internet. I'm composing this post on a new computer, but I cannot access 15 years' worth of photos still on my old drive until I have a friend's help to load them onto this one. But before that, I'm going through thousands of old photos to eliminate duds and duplicates in the meantime, in case my new computer doesn't have room to store them accessibly.

What I'm saying is that I'm taking a break from blogging for a while, although with every intention of returning when I am more able-bodied.  But after nearly 15 years of keeping this blog (first post was on January 2, 2009), there's lots of material here to be perused, and if I say so myself, some of it's still pretty interesting and informative.  There's an archive in the right-side sidebar that will carry a reader back to all posts from all times of year, and a search bar at the top left that can lead a reader to all mentions I've posted on hundreds of plants and dozens of places. I hope some of my dear followers will find something to interest them among past posts, and also check back here from time to time to see if I'm posting anew. This project has been the focus of my life for so long, I cannot imagine I will abandon it for long.

Meanwhile, I want to express my gratitude for the blessings that I experienced in the middle of my distress. With all the evidence of human wickedness in the news these days, I cling to any and all evidence of human kindness I encounter.  And oh my, did I encounter human kindness after my car crash. I had not realized how battered I was when I crawled out of my smashed vehicle and limped, stunned, to a nearby bench. But a kind young man from the Malta Emergency Services quickly appeared and invited me to come out of the damp cold and enter the emergency vehicle standing by. At first I declined, just hoping my husband would soon arrive to take me home, but the young man's gentle prodding convinced me I should let the EMTs take my vital signs and check me for injuries and so I accepted the invitation to climb onto the gurney.  As it happened, I was experiencing cardiac and blood pressure abnormalities that indicated I should go to the hospital for further examination. Which I did, and there underwent scans from my head to my toes, which revealed no life-threatening conditions or injuries, thank God. I don't know how my legs got so battered and bruised, but at least I won't die from not being able to walk for a while.  And I have no-fault insurance that will cover many of my material losses as well as my medical bills. All will be well, eventually, so now my fear has given way to enormous gratitude to all those kind people who looked after me in my distress. I especially want to thank Justin and Scott, the two EMTs who cared for me so solicitously and helped me to feel I'd be OK.  How wonderful that such good people feel called to this caring and life-saving work. And that goes for all the good people who cared for me at the Saratoga Hospital Emergency Room, who treated me with such competence, respect and gentleness.  Of course, I must thank my husband Denis, who now must  drive me around to all errands and appointments that I once drove myself to. And many friends who have reached out in love and/or with foodstuffs and other offers.  I thank God for all such caring people around the world, wherever there is disaster and distress. I have been so disheartened by news of wars and natural disasters, but I am grateful to be reminded that still there are those good people who rush to give hope and healing to people in need.


10 comments:

greentangle said...

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're relatively OK. Your photos and adventure tales have brought much pleasure and info over the years. Thank you!

Bill and dogs said...

I've been following your blog for years and I have much admiration for you. I wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

I bet the air bags went off and hit you

Don Butler said...

Remember what Zorba The Greek said: "Life is trouble, only death is not" Take it easy for a bit and you'll be ready to go (and ready to entertain us) by the time things start blossoming in the spring. We frequent the same places so I'ld be happy to give you a ride when you're ready to begin exploring again. I'm nearby and have some free time. Wishing for your speedy recovery.

Susan C. said...

I worry when you aren't posting, my concern justified this time. I always enjoy your blogs and will happily ramble thru past ones until miraculously you are back with new ones. Recuperate, get a new knee (I have 2) and know that your lovely part of the world will be there when you are able to get outside. Persevere!

New Hampshire Gardener said...

I hope your pain subsides quickly so you'll be able to enjoy the coming spring. Don't worry; we'll all be here waiting patiently but missing you still. Take care.

Steve Plumb said...

So very glad you found yourself in one piece! Thank you so much for those 15 years. My Monday visit to your blog can resume when you can. Best wishes for the new year, Steve

Woody Meristem said...

Wow, you did quite a job on yourself. Here's hoping you don't need a new knee, but they have good ones at the Knee Store. We'll miss your new posts until you're back out in woods and waters and fields. But as you say, there are lots of posts in your easily accessible archives. Might I suggest that you get an external hard drive on which to store copies of your photos for the next time your computer crashes -- and there will be a next time, you just don't know when. Get better soon and get back outside --please.

threecollie said...

I am so sorry to read this, but glad you made it through and that people were there to help you and keep you safe. I hope you recover quickly and are soon back in the woods and fields. I will miss your wonderful and informative posts. Hugs!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

I am so touched by all these caring comments, confirming my belief that most people have kind hearts. Every day I feel closer to being healed enough to venture out to the marvelous woods and waterways that surround me in Saratoga County. I thank you all for your encouraging words, and also for surprising me with evidence about how many of you come along with me through this blog. I can't wait to get back out there to find more of nature's surprises to offer you! A thousand thanks for such encouragement!