Tuesday, December 6, 2022

What A Difference An Hour Makes!


This photo of sunset-burnished treetops popped up this week in my Facebook Memories. This was a moment of sheer loveliness I witnessed while walking on the banks of the Hudson River at Moreau, NY, in late November seven years ago. The landscape had been just dull grays and browns until the lowering sun set the tops of the trees on this island to blazing, and the water grew still enough to perfectly mirror the magical scene. Twenty seconds later, the landscape retreated into shadow, the tree-tops once again hardly noticeable against the darkened slopes of West Mountain beyond the far bank of the river.

Curious to see if I could find my original photo of this scene, I rummaged around in my photo files until I found those I had posted on this blog back on November 19, 2015.  And there I found this second photo of the very same site, taken maybe an hour before the setting sun had rendered the treetops the color of fire. A beautiful landscape, yes, but not yet touched with the brilliance yet to come just moments later.


I am happy to say that I could return to this very riverbank today, and find this beautiful scene unchanged. How lucky I am, to live amid such wonders!

2 comments:

Woody Meristem said...

Nice photos, it's always interesting to take comparison photos of the same place from the same spot.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice memories!