Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Good News for Beef Cattle!


Ten years ago, I took this photo of this adorable little girl and her Hereford calf at the Washington County Fair. Despite my best efforts, I never could obtain the identity of the child so that I might give her family this photo or obtain a release to publish it. Recalling the obvious affection she felt for her calf (a breed bred to be slaughtered for meat), I wonder if she now celebrates the invention of "Impossible Burgers," the meatless burgers soon to be introduced by Burger King and featured in the business section of today's New York Times. My husband Denis tasted one in New York City last week and said it was incredibly delicious, tasting exactly like genuine hamburger. If this takes off, it could be great news for beef cattle, of course, but also for the planet, since cattle are a significant source of methane, a gas that plays a major role in climate change.

Here's a link to the article I read today in the New York TimesBehold the Beefless "Impossible Whopper"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would this be good news for beef cattle? There wouldn't be any beef cattle without a demand for meat. As your photo suggests, they have a great life receiving better nutrition and care than most of the world's people and when they are harvested their death is with less pain and suffering than most of us will have to endure. Large ruminants evolved on Earth in a symbiotic relationship with plants. Would you also like to see the great herds of African wildlife disappear. The whole methane thing seems to be a distraction invented by the fossil fuel industry. This is a poorly reasoned and disappointing post.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Not to worry. I doubt my post will have any effect on the meat industry. People (including me) will still want their Porterhouse steaks and prime rib, so beef cattle will still be reared as before. And yes, I agree that animals raised for food have better lives than wild animals, given food, shelter, protection from predators and usually a quick and painless death. I was just fascinated by the fake hamburger thing, and I wanted to share my photo of that cute kid and her sweet calf. Sorry to get you so upset, Anonymous. I wish you had told us your name.

Anonymous said...

I love rib eye steaks

Woody Meristem said...

While I love good hamburger, roast pork and roast chicken or turkey I don't pretend that the last few hours for much livestock isn't pure terror. Anyone who thinks all livestock transportation and slaughterhouses are humane should read some of Temple Grandin's papers. Temple Grandin has worked for years to research, develop and encourage better methods of transporting, handling and slaughtering livestock.