Monday, June 20, 2016

Strawberry Moon

When the longest day of summer coincides with the full moon, it's a rare event that hasn't happened for 70 years, or so claims The Farmer's Almanac.  (Other sources say this event occurred less than 50 years ago, but who's counting?) The Native Americans called this full moon of June the Strawberry Moon, which adds a touch of sweetness to this already remarkable event, for the June moon signaled the time when strawberries ripen.  I can attest to the truth of that, since I have been enjoying the sweetest wild strawberries I have ever eaten this week.

Whatever this moon is called, and however rare it might be for the full moon to rise on the night of Summer Solstice, it sure was a beautiful moon that rose over the woods and meadows on Sunday evening, when I took this photo.  It sure looked full to me, but officially, the real full moon won't happen until 6:34 pm EDT on Monday, June 20.  If I miss Monday's moon, I would have to wait another 46 years before I could see the full moon again coinciding with Summer Solstice on June 21, 2062.  But I won't be around for that one.  I hope this year's Solstice/Strawberry Moon is as lovely as this one was on Sunday night.

1 comment:

The Furry Gnome said...

Hadn't thought of that one before!