Friday, December 21, 2012

Rejoice in the Light!


Winter Solstice!  As of today, the darkness will start to recede, and life-giving light will begin its return to us.

While searching through my files for an appropriate celebratory image,  I came across this photo of sunlit ripples moving across the sandy bottom close to the shore of Moreau Lake.  The photo was taken in early March on one of the first days the ice had begun to retreat from the shore.  Free of its frozen constraints, the water seemed to be dancing for joy at its liberation, vibrating with life and warmth, the sunight waving bright ribbons of gold along the sand, the tiny wavelets acting as prisms that cast flashing spectra of brilliant color.  Struck dumb with delight, I stood and gazed and was overcome with gratefulness and joy.  How could it be that such treasure was mine, strewn at my feet, freely given, and all I had to do was open my eyes and see?

In many ways, this is also the Christmas message.  The Divine One, the source of all life,  dwells among us on earth and can be found in the humblest, most ordinary of circumstances.  God is not "out there" in high heaven, but right here, right now, love freely given, like treasure strewn at our feet, and all we have to do is open our hearts and see.

I wish you all a joy-filled Christmas season and a wonderful new year.

5 comments:

TDECORAH said...

Merry Christmas! I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. I "stumbled" upon this site a few weeks ago and since then have visited almost daily. Since I work full time, I enjoy my "virtual" outings with you. I have also used your blog as inspiration for destinations on the weekends. My husband and I spent a beautiful morning recently exploring the Burl Trail and others in the Malta area. Thanks for all your hard work on this site!

catharus said...

Season's Greetings!

June said...

I think you need to start and etsy shop for your photographs.
This one is beyond beautiful.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thank you, dear readers, for your kind comments. And welcome to TDECORAH, so good to make your acquaintance. Keep on hiking!
June, I am so happy you like this photo. It has special meaning to me.

Jens Zorn said...

Jackie, thanks so much for the remarkable photograph and graceful text celebrating the passage of the Winter Solstice.