Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Calling All Creators!

It's time once again for the Spring Street Gallery's annual open-call themed art and performance exhibition to benefit Code Blue, the shelter that helps folks without a warm home make it through the winter. I've participated in this show before, and it's just a wonderful way for artists, musicians, and all kinds of performers (both pros and amateurs) to celebrate each others' creative gifts, and enjoy a great party, too, while helping those less fortunate than ourselves. The theme this year is Winter, a season I always celebrate through my photography. I haven't yet decided what to submit, but here are three of my photos I do like, each one displaying some quality of winter in our northern climes. 

This first one, "Ice Fog on Saratoga Lake," demonstrates that even in the middle of winter while the lakes are still solidly frozen, we will occasionally get a warm rain that creates this kind of fog. All that mist transforms the far shoreline into what looks like a wonderland rising out of a cloud. Or a Japanese ink painting.  This photo measures 24"X6".






"Frost Flower" is an 8X10 photo of the spectacular frost crystals that can sometimes be found on the surface of clear black lake ice. Rarely do I find them as nearly symmetrical as this.





"Crabapple in Snow," is an 8X10 photo of one of those rare and amazing times when the newly fallen snow clings to every branch and twig.



The gallery welcomes contributions from artists and performers throughout Saratoga Springs and surrounding communities, so if any of my readers from this area wish to submit work for the show that will open with a reception on February 10, go to the Spring Street Gallery's website to register and to learn more information.  Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Those are three spectacular photos!

Woody Meristem said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos -- but I'm sure you have others that are worthy of putting in the exhibit.

Unknown said...

I hope you and yours had a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and are having a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. May we display your linked header on our new site directory, SiteHoundSniffs.com? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the linked header will attract more attention.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thanks, Furry Gnome and Woody Meristem, for your kind comments. I'm lucky to live in such a beautiful world that offers so many incredible photo opportunities. You both offer some pretty spectacular shots on your own blogs, which my readers can access by simply clicking on your names here.

No thanks, Jerry E. Beuterbaugh, regarding your site directory. Considering the kind of spam I get from time to time, I'm really not interested in attracting wider attention from the world at large.

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me know.